October 6, 2010

Sausage Stuffed Stromboli


John and I have been enjoying home-made pizza about once a week since I found this pizza dough recipe. I wrote about our Chicken Alfredo Pizza a few weeks ago. This week I wanted to try something similar but different. So I went with Stromboli.

I realize that the above picture does not show you all the yummy, goodness inside. And for that I am extremely sorry. It was so delicious I didn't even spare one second to take a picture! Inside, I spread a very minimal amount of pasta sauce on the dough, then piled ground sausage, deli ham, onions and mozzarella cheese on top. It wasn't super fancy and I just used stuff that we had in the fridge. Then I rolled up the dough and tucked in the ends. I placed on my Pampered Chef pizza stone and baked for about 20 minutes. John dipped his in pasta sauce and I dipped mine in ranch dressing. Yum!!

I love making pizza at home. It's so much more versatile and we love being able to personalize our pizza with our favorite toppings. Ham and pineapple, BBQ chicken, chicken alfredo, sausage and onions...whatever your hearts desire!

What do you like on your pizza?

Pizza Dough
1 package (2 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
2 tsp sugar
2 cups bread flour (I use 1 cup white & 1 cup wheat)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp salt

In a large electric mixer bowl, mix yeast, water and sugar. Let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes). Mix in oil, salt and bread flour using dough hook. Beat well until a stiff dough has formed. You may have to add more or less flour based on the consistency of the dough. You don't want it to be sticky. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl while mixing. I usually mix it 95% of the way with the mixer and then turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead the last 5% by hand. Place dough in a well oiled bowl. Cover and rise until doubled in volume. This takes about an hour in our condo. I place to bowl on top of the oven and set the oven on warm (about 150 degrees). Turn dough out onto floured surface again. Form dough into a pizza crust shape. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees without any toppings. This allows the dough to set and it doesn't become soggy in the middle. Cover with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

For Stromboli - You don't need to bake dough without any toppings for 10 minutes. Instead, cover with sauce and toppings directly onto uncooked dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment