August 28, 2009

Handmade basket

It was just a normal day. John and I got home from visiting his family. John graciously offered to grab the mail before we headed upstairs, and of course I agreed. :) When he finally made his way upstairs he was carrying a package. Since neither John or I were expecting anything, we were very excited to get a surprise package. It turned out to be from my dear friend Laura. We tore open the package and inside was a special gift...

A handmade basket from Africa! My friend Laura is working with an organization that helps African women sell these baskets to make money to provide for their families. By making baskets, they are able to stay at home and take care of their families while making money.

Laura even picked out a basket that matches our living room! Isn't she the greatest! So John and I decided that it was the perfect basket to put on our entry table to catch our keys and cell phones when we walk through the door. (After John lost his keys a few days ago, we determined an entry basket to be of great necessity.)

And now that we have a basket from Africa on our entry table, I thought it was also fitting to have a mail holder from Africa on the same table! :) I got this mail holder while I was in Africa and I LOVE the elephants on it. They were my favorite animal to see in the wild. I even had a ring made with elephants engraved in it. It is one of my favorite rings...well before John gave me my wedding ring, of course.


Thank you Laura! We love our new basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment